Whether you’re a sideliner or outdoor native, there are ways to maximize your WildHeart at every level.
Before starting any outdoor fitness routine, at any level, it’s important to create a plan that aligns with your fitness goals. Are you looking to improve your endurance, build strength, or just get out in nature? Having a plan in place can help you stay on track and make progress.
If you consider yourself a sideliner, meaning someone who doesn’t typically engage in outdoor fitness activities, but would like to embrace it, here are some tips to get started:
- Start small: Begin with simple outdoor activities that you enjoy, such as walking, hiking, or cycling. Gradually increase the intensity and duration of your activity as you build your stamina and confidence.
- Set goals: Setting specific goals can help keep you motivated and focused on your progress. Consider signing up for an outdoor event such as a charity walk or 5k race to work towards a goal.
- Embrace nature: Take time to appreciate the beauty of nature while you exercise. This can help reduce stress, improve your mood, and enhance your overall experience.
As an urban athlete, someone who loves the energy of the city but still wants to prioritize fitness and health, here are some tips to embrace outdoor fitness:
- Find local parks and trails: Many cities have beautiful parks, trails, and other outdoor spaces that can offer a great workout experience. Do some research to find the best options near you.
- Join an outdoor fitness group: Join an outdoor fitness group or class such as a running or cycling club. This can offer both motivation and social interaction while still allowing you to embrace the city atmosphere.
- Take advantage of city landmarks: Use city landmarks such as stairs, bridges, or hills for a challenging workout experience. You can incorporate these into your routine or create a fitness challenge with friends.
Are you a little more experienced with the outdoors? As an outdoor native, someone who has grown up with a love for the outdoors and a strong connection to nature, here are some tips to embrace outdoor fitness:
- Try new outdoor activities: Even if you have a favorite outdoor activity, trying new ones can help you challenge yourself and discover new ways to stay fit in nature.
- Plan outdoor adventures: Plan outdoor adventures such as backpacking trips, multi-day hikes, or mountain climbs. This can help you challenge yourself and stay connected to nature.
- Share your love for the outdoors: Share your love for the outdoors with others by teaching outdoor skills to others or simply bringing friends and family on your outdoor adventures.
Remember to stay safe while embracing outdoor fitness. Be aware of your surroundings, follow proper outdoor safety protocols, and respect the environment. With these tips, you can continue to nurture your love for the outdoors while also prioritizing your fitness and well-being.
Want to find out what kind of WildHeart you are? Keep an eye out for our WildHeart Quiz to discover which kind of outdoor athlete you are!
Remember: Before starting any new exercise routine, it’s important to consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare professional. This is especially important if you have any pre-existing medical conditions or injuries that could be aggravated by exercise.